Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans

This week's blog won't have a theme.  Unless you count being late and stressed and running around like a chicken with it's head cut off a theme.  I don't.  I call that life.

I'll be honest.  I'm a planner and a list maker.  I have MANY calendars and a palm pilot to keep track of where I'm supposed to be and what I'm supposed to be doing.  I have a grocery list on the fridge and a to-do-list next to my computer.  My husband claims that I just like to be able to cross items OFF the list.  He may be right.

But, in the end, it doesn't matter.  It all gets thrown out the window somewhere between getting out of bed and pouring my first cup of coffee.

Sometimes my writing is like that, too.   There are times I need a good kick in the butt to get back on track.  That can be hard to find in Western South Dakota.  It's not like I can hit a Mystery Writers of America meeting for inspiration.  (Not that the Black Hills Writers Group isn't cool, they just don't have the same number of published writers!)

I've found that it helps when friends ask "how's the book coming?"  I feel guilty if I have to give the same answer to someone twice.  There's a great feeling of accomplishment to know I'm further ahead today then I was last time they asked — even if it's only a thousand words!

And so, after a week that included more meetings then I care to count, a trip to the ER to learn about an infection that looks JUST LIKE appendicitis, not as much house work as should have been done, and putting up a Christmas tree, there's no theme to this week's blog.  Nor is there much progress done on Ghost Mountain.  

As we enter the holiday season, my wish for all writers is that they remember one thing.  It's awfully hard to write about life, when you don't take the time to actually live it!

Blessings,
Nichole


No comments: