Monday, December 1, 2008

Humor and sex just happen — well, humor does anyway.

Humor is hard to write.  That's why I don't try.

I'm not saying my stuff is funny.  I'm not saying it's not.  I just don't TRY to make it funny.

When I write, I try to be "real."  I try to make my characters like you and me.  Ok, so there might be a little more of me in my main character and a little more of the guy who annoyed the crap out of me at the grocery store in either the bad guy or the victim.   Sometimes what I write comes out sarcastic, at least to my inner voice.  But my inner voice has been known to have a sarcastic streak, so that shouldn't surprise me.  

It shouldn't come as a surprise to those who know me that I don't try to be funny.  The "3 Stooges" were never my favorites and I just don't get slapstick.  I mean, why is physical abuse funny?  I'm much better with the one-liners or the deadpan answers from off-the-wall.

I guess I inherited my dad's sense of humor.  He's the guy who, when a waitress says "my name is Jane, and I'll be your server" replies immediately with "my name's Jim and I'll be your customer."  Or will explain to the checkout lady at Wally-world that he just returned from a vacation and only has Hawaiian currency.  Will they take that?  (Honestly, you'd be amazed how many don't realize that Hawaii is part of the United States and, therefore, has the same currency!)

So, for me, humor happens.  Sex doesn't.  Well, not in my fictional life anyway.  I can't get my married couple to kiss without it sounding stupid. 

In my real life?  Well, that's for me to know and you to NOT find out...  at least not in my writing!

Blessings,
Nichole


No comments: