Monday, May 11, 2009

Do I really write paranormal?

Have you noticed that vampires are a hot commodity these days?  My stories don't include vampires or weres of any kind.  They don't have fairies or elves.  No dragons or unicorns, either.

So do I really write paranormal?

I think so.

Of my main characters, one is a Lakota spirit guide.  He offers insight to my protagonist in ways that my "flesh-and-blood" characters can't.  But is it enough?

Between Stephanie Meyer and her Twilight series, Charlaine Harris and her Sookie Stackhouse books, and JR Ward and the Black Dagger Brotherhood, the market is full of vampires.  Come to think of it, each of  those series has a few token werewolves, as well.

So what do you think makes a story paranormal?  Does it count if "mythical" creatures aren't represented?  Or do ghosts and tarot cards in the story qualify?

I'd love to hear your opinions!

Blessings!
Nichole


No comments: