Monday, April 5, 2010

A day in the life....

I'm not a morning person. This will come as no surprise to anyone who has ever spoken to me before noon.

But I enjoy the peace and quiet of my house during the early morning hours.

Oh, don't get me wrong! I get NOTHING accomplished during those hours. Not a sentence gets added to my current work in progress. I consume large quantitates of coffee and occasionally manage to grunt when my early-bird husband wishes me a good morning. It's the time when I can harvest my Farmville farm and avert all-out-war in Mafia.

On weekdays (or, rather, school days), I am still in my pajamas when my teen ager heads out the door. That's one of the advantages to working at home, I suppose.

Shortly after she leaves, I feed the animals and make myself presentable for the day.

Sometime between shampooing and conditioning my hair, I start to think of killing people. Usually, it's purely fictional.

I get some writing done in the morning, along with some exercise if the weather permits. And since I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota, that's iffy. Yes, I know I could go to a gym. I know I could use the yoga DVDs I already own. There's just something about taking my little dog for a walk that is satisfying. Oh, and I listen to some of those classic novels while I'm doing it. (Currently, I'm hearing Uncle Tom's Cabin.)

After lunch it's time to do some serious writing. Or at least staring at the computer screen for long periods of time. At some point in the afternoon, I try to get some critiques done -- either ones for my online group, my face-to-face local group, or revisions from the critiques I've received.

Then it's time to get dinner started and do some housework. That's one of the disadvantages to working from home, I suppose.

My evenings are spent hanging out with my family. It's when I watch TV, knit, or read a book.

Of course, this isn't how everyday goes. I also design web pages, so I sometimes have to do that job. And because I'm at home, I can get easily distracted by a friend who wants to go out for coffee or errands that need to be done.

It may not be an exciting day, but isn't that what fiction is for?

Blessings!
Nichole

1 comment:

nerinedorman said...

My usual weekday is traumatic to say the least. Monday, Wednesday and Friday husband and I rise at 4am to go to gym...

Then I'm on the train for an hour to go suffer at the newspapers... where I usually get all my bright ideas for future novels...

Then another hour back on the train, light housework and keeping the husband happy.

Somewhere between all this I must find time to write and edit.