Monday, August 31, 2009

Creative or Scientific?

I believe there are two types of people — scientific and creative. The creative ones are the dreamers, the ones who, well, create. The scientific ones are the fact-regurgitators, the ones who can kick your butt in Trivial Pursuit. I also believe the scientific/creative thing is a continuum. No one is 100% creative or 100% scientific.

The more creative someone is, the more hobbies and the less routines they seem to have, as well.

Take my husband, for example. He's been known to read the encyclopedia for the fun of it. Lucky for me, his memory isn't what it used to be, so I still have a shot at Trivial Pursuit!

Me? I lean more to the creative side. I am always doing something. In addition to writing, I read a lot (and then I blog a book review at my own site). But I don't really think of that as creative.

My creative hobbies are as varied as possible. I take china painting classes. (This tile just got a second place ribbon in the fair. I'd show the piece that got first place, but it's a gift for my mom and she sometimes reads this blog!) I knit and crochet (yes, I'm on Ravelry!) I make soap and candles. I sew and embroider (currently, we aren't eating meals at the kitchen table because the embroidery machine is in use there!). I draw and paint. I cook.
To me those are all creative outlets and I enjoy them all. I have to keep my mind busy to keep my sanity and these hobbies help me do that. I'm able to put one aside for a bit when I get bored (which happens.... trust me!) and pick up something else.

What about you? What are your hobbies? What ones should I try next?

Blessings!
Nichole

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh! Pretty! I love redbirds! Very nice, Nichole!