Monday, June 1, 2009

I may not write it, but I like to read it!

This week's topic doesn't really apply to my writing.  As I've said before, I don't have a lot of "other species" in my series.  

What I do have are feelings and talents and abilities in plain old people.  And spirit guides.  And the occasional visit from a goddess.  Sometimes I think another species would be easier to write.  Probably one of those "the grass is always greener" moments, but still.....

I do enjoy reading about other species, though.  As long as the writing is well done and the characters believable, that is.

Take Charlaine Harris, for example.  I enjoyed her first few books in the Southern Vampire series (the Sookie Stackhouse books, for those who don't know), but the later ones aren't as believable to me.  I don't think Sookie, as a character, has grown much -- or at least as much as I'd like to see.

Kim Harrison's White Witch, Black Curse is the first I've read in that series.  (OK, I admit it, I don't always start at the beginning!)  I'll tell you, I'm impressed with it.  The characters seem well thought out and the story line is moving right along.  There are banshees, fairies, vampires, and witches and that seems to work for me.

The Black Dagger Brotherhood, a series staring vampires by JR Ward, is another series where I can say "yes, that could happen."  While this one is more love-story, romantic then what I normally read, I can even put that aside once in awhile.  Especially for these guys!

It seems most of the paranormal books out there right now focus on vampires.  There's almost always a werewolf in the supporting cast.   A few have other species thrown in.  Or am I not looking in the right places?

What are your favorite "other species" books?  I'm always looking for something new to read!

Blessings!
Nichole

No comments: