Friday, November 7, 2008

Dreaming of NaNoWriMo.

I love National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo as those who participate like to call it. I love the idea of committing to crazy, freethinking writing, where all that matters is that you spew forth letters on the page. As a methodical plotter, it goes against all my instincts to write this way, yet I find it exhilarating.

Last year, NaNoWriMo changed my novel around. Letting myself go with the flow led to major discoveries about what was and wasn't working. It helped me move past a major stumbling block and go on to new and better pages.

I've been hoping that this year will be the same. But so far, I have been unable to put pen to paper. Blame the recent move, which leaves me with an office and house in boxes. Blame the weeks of illness and of unexpected work that put me two weeks behind my unpacking schedule. Blame the upcoming week and a half trip to Florida, my last visit to my mom in the nursing home before I am forced not to fly because of my third trimester. Or just blame my lack of will.

But for the moment, I find myself dreaming of NaNoWriMo. My commitment to it will start on November 20th and go through the holidays, instead of finishing with the end of November. Though I won't be on the same schedule as everyone else, I'm hoping the spirit of NaNoWriMo will carry me through until the words "the end" appear.

In ghostly spirits,

J.K. Mahal

No comments: