Monday, March 1, 2010

What does a cluttered desk really mean?

This month, the bunch of us are going to focus on writing. Yeah, I know. We sort of always do that, but this month we're really focusing in that direction.

I'll be the first to admit my desk is a mess. Well, it is to anyone else who see it. To me, it's organized chaos. I know where everything is.

In addition to the office supplies--things like paper, pens, a stapler, and paperclips--I have a ton of research books, mostly from Writer's Digest.

While the clutter which encroaches my computer drives other people crazy, I find it helpful to have most of my research information at my fingertips. If I were to be completely honest, though, the "mess" also keeps my family away from my computer. They're afraid of messing with my system!

There is a saying that goes something like "if a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, what does a clear desk mean?" I suppose it's only logical that a clear desk would be a clear mind. No thank you. I enjoy the random thoughts that pop in my head. I like the idea that I'm creative enough to write an engaging story.

I'd like to hear from others. What does your desk look like? And does it bother you?

Blessings!
Nichole

2 comments:

Keith Pyeatt, author of paranormal thrillers said...

I'm a recovering neat fanatic, and while I'm better, too much clutter irritates me. I've just finished some projects and let out a huge sigh of relief after filing all the paperwork away.

Okay, I'm still a neat fanatic. I just have lapses.

Unknown said...

I agree with you. I'm in a in depth study of body language, and I came across the topic of whether a messy room is indicitive of anything, but I rabbit trailed to messy desks. I found the following two articles that you will find interesting. Basically, messy is relative. If you know where everything is, then it's not a mess. A completely clear desk may seem like a mess to you because of it's barren nature.

Having a mess is not the same thing as having trash. If you've got mold growing on a book, then you've got a trashy desk, not a messy desk.

Here are the articles:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/Careers/04/30/cb.mess/index.html

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/smth08.shtml