Monday, September 6, 2010

From a book to a cemetery to a book

If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?
Albert Einstein.

Mr. Einstein would never have thought I had an empty mind, I'm sure of that. I'm not a neat freak. I never have been and I never will be.

My desk is very much like my mind. There's a little of this next to a little of that. The things which may not make any sense to you are deeply tied together for me.

Let me explain. As I look at my desk, I notice a book my teenager suggested I read. The book, Amen, Amen, Amen, is about a girl with OCD. Next to that, I have a copy of the DSM-IV, which I used for my minor in psychology. Next to that, is a zen garden to remind me I need to make time to de-stress.

Then comes the knitting magazine. Knitting is something I enjoy doing as a de-stresser. My mother enjoys knitting. She taught me a lot of different crafts. My parents live about 450 miles from me, and I should call them.

Actually, much of my family has lived and died in that area for generations. That reminds me of the latest search I did on ancestry.com Oh, and then there's the book put out by that historic cemetery where much of my family is buried.

Wait! A book... I have this book I've been meaning to read about a girl with OCD....

Things are really on my desk like that. And they are in my mind that way, as well. I think a lot of "creative" people have these wacky associations. It's what makes them creative.

Or maybe I'm just a little crazy.

Where did I see that DSM-IV?

Blessings!
Nichole



1 comment:

nerinedorman said...

LOL... Sounds like my "My Documents" folder on my netbook.