Monday, July 19, 2010

Embrace the joy

Once again I didn't know what to write about when Monday morning rolled around.

So I procrastinated. I did my morning yoga. And the 3 mile walk. And then I decided to try the morning meditation. That's when inspiration hit.

Let me explain. I have a daily meditation book titled The Celtic Spirit. It has a meditation listed for every day -- often with a quote, some text, and a question or suggestion to ponder. This morning, as I was trying to find some inspiration for this post, the suggestion was to re-connect with the people, places or things which bring us joy.

That "assignment" struck a cord with me. Where do I find my joy? Spending time with my family, of course. And my hobbies -- knitting, sewing, painting. As much as I hate to do it, I do actually find joy in my morning walk. And in going for a hike just about anywhere in the Black Hills. I find joy in reading a good book. And in writing.

I don't do each of those things every day. There just aren't enough hours in the day. I try to get the yoga, meditation, and walk in before 10 a.m. The knitting, sewing, painting, and reading all have to wait until evening. Somewhere in the middle I make sure to do at least a little writing. Then there are all the "joy suckers" which need to be done . . . a house to clean, dishes to wash, bills to pay, laundry to fold. It's all important. But those things don't bring me joy.

I hope that my joy in my chosen profession relates on the page. My goal is for the reader to find some joy in my novel.

What about you? Where do you find your joy? And how do you re-kindle it when you feel like it's gone?

Blessings!
Nichole

No comments: